You may be wondering why anyone would suggest that studying a dead language is smart, when there are others like Spanish that are much more practical. But the truth is, there is no language more valuable to know than Latin.
- Phonics – phonics is the study of English letters and how they sound. But phonics only work with about half of the English language, the Angles, while with the Latin half it is not applicable.
- That half that gets missed is made up of Latin words and roots. For example, Father is a purely English word, while other words related to it, like paternity and patriarch are using patri as the root. Patris is the Latin word for father, and the root of many English words related to fatherhood.
- Modern Science – The modern sciences are overflowing with words that are made up of Latin roots and knowing them could make it easier to understand what is going on in the world around you. For example, the vernal equinox refers to Spring, but unless you know that vernal is the Latin word for Spring you may be confused as to when the event is set to take place.
- Your Home – Even products that you commonly use at home can be traced back to Latin. For example, if you knew Latin than you would know that all brands and products that have the word barba are meant for a beard. Shaving creams, beard balms and even beard trimmer companies have all used this word in their labeling, even though the vast majority of us don’t understand its meaning. Barba balm does have a better ring to it than beard balm anyway.
- Latin numbers – We say three in English, but should instinctively know how many sides a triangle has. Latin numbers make up an extensive portion of the English language, yet most of us are unaware of the root.
- Learning other Languages – European languages are even more rooted in Latin then English is, and in a more sensible way. For example, in Spain you would be asking for barba balsamo if you needed beard balm, and a prestobarba if you wanted a razor to shave.
- Learning other Subjects – since such a large number of science, math and even grammar related words are based in Latin, knowing the language will make you have a better understanding of these other subjects.
All schools should be focusing first on Latin as a second language before offering any others. Even at the grammar school level, when learning a new language is easier schools can implement a program that makes learning Latin, and everything else in school simpler.